Ben is a trial lawyer. For over 33 years Ben has represented folks and businesses in resolving complex commercial disputes through litigation, arbitration, mediation and general legal counselling.
He has practiced at Kirton McConkie since 2002 where he currently chairs, for the second time, its Litigation Section and has served on its Board of Directors.
Ben has been “AV Preeminent Peer Review” rated by Martindale-Hubbell since 2002.
- Trial and general counsel for: (1) developers, general contractors, subcontractors and suppliers, (2) healthcare management organizations, hospitals, healthcare facility owners and physicians, (3) state-wide public employees association and (4) counties, cities, improvement districts, and special service districts.
- In areas of: (1) commercial litigation including contract enforcement, breach of commercial covenants, restraint of trade, unfair competition, fraud and business torts, (2) federal and state agency regulatory compliance including environmental, housing, finance and real estate sales investigations, enforcement actions and citizens suits, (3) constitutional claims, including First Amendment, Equal Protection, Title VII and civil rights claims and (4) Fair Hearing Proceedings, privileging, licensure and other administrative hearings.
- Appearances before the Utah Federal District Court, Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals, all districts of the Utah State Court system, the Ute Tribal Court, the Utah Supreme Court, the Utah Court of Appeals and the Eastern District of Michigan. In addition, appearances pro hac vice in Federal District Courts of California, New Jersey and Idaho, and in the State Courts of California, Nevada, Idaho and Wyoming.
- Over 25 years of experience in Alternative Dispute Resolution including Arbitration, Mediation and Negotiation.
- March 2016Press Release
- August 18, 2015Press Release
- June 12, 2015Press Release
- August 18, 2014Press Release
- June 11, 2014Press Release
- February 27, 2014Press Release
- Kirton McConkie lawyers participate in Utah Constitution DaySeptember 17, 2013Press release
- August 15, 2013Press Release
- June 12, 2013Press Release
- August 23, 2012Press release
University of Puget Sound, J.D., December 1983
University of Utah, B.A. Humanities, cum laude, June 1981
- Utah, April 1984
- United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- United States District Court for District of Utah
- United States Circuit Court for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Claims
- United States District Court for District of Eastern Michigan
Honors & Awards
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell since 2002
- 2015 Distinguished Service Award, Utah Chapter Federal Bar Association
- 2014 Utah State Bar Committee of the Year (Civics Education Committee)
- Utah Legal Elite: Civil Litigation, Business Litigation (2014)
- Super Lawyers National: Business Litigation (2013)
- Mountain States Super Lawyer: Business Litigation (2012 - 2016)
- Best Lawyers: Commercial Litigation (2013 - 2016) and First Amendment Litigation (2015, 2016)
Utah Bar Association
Federal Bar Association
Salt Lake County Bar Association
President Utah Chapter Federal Bar Association (2011)
Board Member Utah Chapter Federal Bar Association (2003-2015)
Mentor, Utah State Court Mentoring Program (2011, 2014)
Co-Chair Utah State Bar Civics Education Committee (2012-2014)
Chair Utah State Bar Succession Planning Committee (2013-2015)