Brian W. Burnett
Mr. Burnett handles a wide variety of energy, natural resources and environmental law matters for clients before federal, state and local agencies, and governmental entities. Mr. Burnett is also involved in various aspects of energy and utility development including obtaining governmental approval and related permits, as well as project operation and compliance. His practice includes telecommunications, water, property and contract law, and related litigation.
Previously, he was an Assistant Attorney General for the State of Utah, Chief of the Public Utilities Section, handling all aspects of cases regarding gas, electric, telecommunications and water utility matters before the Public Service Commission of Utah and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission in Washington, D.C.
Mr. Burnett has been selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America, Mountain States Super Lawyers, and Utah Business Magazine's "Legal Elite" in the areas of energy and natural resources law. He maintains an AV Preeminent with Martindale-Hubble Peer Review Rating, which is the highest rating awarded to attorneys for professional competence and ethics.
Mr. Burnett has served as the Chair of the Energy, Natural Resources & Environmental Law Section of the Utah State Bar, serving previously as the Energy Committee Chair. He served twice as the Chair of the Administrative Law Section of the Utah State Bar. He was previously the Chair of the Bonneville School Community Council. He is currently on the Leadership Committee of And Justice For All.
- University of Utah College of Law, JD, 1982
- Utah State University, B.A., Cum Laude, 1978
- Utah, 1982
Honors & Awards
- Utah Legal Elite: Energy and Natural Resources (2007 - 2017)
Utah State Bar
- Administrative Law Section, Chair (2011-2012 (1992-1993)
- Energy, Natural Resources and Environmental Law Section, Chair (2012-2013), Officer and Energy Committee Chair (2007-2012)
- Government Relations Committee (2010-2012)
American Bar Association
- Environment, Energy, and Resources Law Section
- Public Utility, Communications and Transportation Law Section
- Energy Bar Association - Rocky Mountain Chapter