Mr. Metcalf is a member of the firm’s Intellectual Property, Litigation, Government and Utilities, and Healthcare sections. He has represented individuals, start-up companies and larger entities, including Fortune 500 companies.
Mr. Metcalf is recognized as one of Utah’s Legal Elite in intellectual property, is AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell, is a Top Rated Lawyer by Martindale-Hubbell and has been recognized by Super Lawyers National, Mountain States Super Lawyers and as an IP Star by Managing IP. He is a member of the firm’s Board of Directors.
He has worked in a wide variety of technology and industry areas including medical devices, pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, automotive, defense, chemicals, materials, mining, explosives, environmental, sports, media and entertainment law.
Intellectual Property Appeals
Mr. Metcalf handles appeals of intellectual property cases, including filing of amicus briefs in important intellectual property matters. These appeals often address broad policy issues in intellectual property law.
Mediator and Arbitrator
Mr. Metcalf is a trained mediator and arbitrator in a wide variety of subject matter areas including intellectual property, contracts, corporate, employment, securities, real estate, and community disputes.
- American Arbitration Association (AAA), arbitration and mediation panels
- Fellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb)
- Utah Court Annexed ADR Roster
- American Intellectual Property Law (AIPLA) mediation roster
- World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) roster (pending)
ADR Trainings include:
- “Mediating Commercial and Litigated Cases,” American Institute of Mediation, Los Angeles, CA (2014).
- “Intellectual Property Media & Technology Arbitration Symposium,” Singapore (2014).
- “Arbitration Fundamentals and Best Practices for New AAA Arbitrators American Arbitration Association (AAA),” Seattle, Washington, 2011.
- “International Commercial Arbitrator Training,” Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, New Orleans, Louisiana. 2009.
- “Mediating the Complex Case,” Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Pepperdine University School of Law, Malibu, California, 2008.
- “Basic Mediation Training,” Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah, 2007.
- “Arbitration Workshop,” World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), Geneva, Switzerland, 2007.
- September 17, 2014InsideCounsel
- September 3, 2014InsideCounsel
- August 20, 2014InsideCounsel
- August 6, 2014InsideCounsel
- July 23, 2014InsideCounsel
- July 9, 2014InsideCounsel
- February 2, 2013Inside Counsel
- January 23, 2013Inside Counsel
- January 10, 2013The Project to Restore America newsletter
- January 9, 2013Inside Counsel
- December 26, 2012Inside Counsel
- December 12, 2012Inside Counsel
- November 27, 2012Inside Counsel
- Resolution of Patent and Technology Disputes by Arbitration and Mediation: A View From the United StatesApril 2008Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (74 Arbitration 385)
- Satisfying Rule 11 Prior to Initiating Patent Infringement ClaimsApril 19977 Fed. Cir. Bar Journal 321
- June 15, 2016
- March 2016Press Release
- June 12, 2015Press Release
- June 11, 2014Press Release
- February 27, 2014Press Release
- June 12, 2013Press Release
- Presentation, "Prosecution of Chemical Patent Applications in the United States"2009American Chemical Society, National Meeting
- Presentation, "Intellectual Property and Risk Management"September 2004Intermountain Biomedical Assoc. Annual Meeting
- Presentation, "Pre-filing and Pre-Answer Investigations in Patent Cases"July 2004Utah State Bar Annual Convention
- Presentation, "Patent Strategies, Approaches to Protecting Your Intellectual Property"February 2004Rocky Mountain Biotechnology Symposium
- Presentation, "Managing Intellectual Property"March 2002Utah Sate Bar Mid-year Convention
- Presentation, "Drafting Non-Infringement and Invalidity Opinions"1999National CLE, Deer Valley, Utah
Lewis and Clark College, Portland, Oregon, J.D., Law Review
University of Utah, Chemistry, B.S.
Graduate level work in biochemistry and medical devices at the University of Utah and the University of Berne, Switzerland
- Utah State Bar
- Registered Patent Attorney, United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
Honors & Awards
- AV-Rated Martindale-Hubbell
- Recognized as an IP Star by Managing IP magazine (2015)
- Top Rated Lawyer in Intellectual Property by Martindale-Hubbell (2013)
- Super Lawyers national: Intellectual Property (2013)
- Mountain States Super Lawyers: Intellectual Property (2011 - 2016, 2007)
- Utah Legal Elite: Intellectual Property (2005 - 2014)
Board of Trustees, Utah Technology Council
American Intellectual Property Law Association
International Trademark Association
- American Arbitration Association
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- Past Chair, Utah State Bar Intellectual Property section