David J. Shaw
- tel: 801.426.2108
- fax: 801.212.2029
Mr. Shaw is Chair of the firm's Government & Utilities industry section, a member of the Business section and on the firm's Information Technology Committee. His practice specializes in information technology, telecommunications, public utilities, and contract drafting and negotiations. Mr. Shaw has extensive experience in all aspects of representing municipalities and governmental agencies, including the use of complex governmental finance mechanisms to launch innovative projects, having served as issuer's counsel in various municipal bond transactions. He is a recipient of the "Star Award" from the FTTH (Fiber-to-the-Home) Council and was named a 2009 Mountain States Rising Star.
- Prior to joining Kirton & McConkie, Mr. Shaw served as General Counsel to the Utah Telecommunication Open Infrastructure Agency ("UTOPIA"), a cooperative governmental agency owned by fourteen Utah municipalities to build the nation's most robust communications network. He continues as UTOPIA's General Counsel through his work with the firm
- Served as the Assistant City Attorney to Murray City Corporation in Utah, where his practice focused on municipal law, contract negotiation and public utility work. In that capacity he handled legal aspects related to the construction and operation natural gas power generators, sewer line installations, solid waste pickup and other utility matters. He also administered and negotiated cable and telecommunications franchises
- Has significant experience drafting and negotiating complex commercial transactions in everything from software and hardware licensing, to operating and maintaining complex infrastructure projects and large-scale purchasing transactions. He is particularly skilled in the intricacies of the telecommunications and electrical industries
- December 17, 2012
- Kirton McConkie's Shaw invited to participate in new White House initiative to advance gigabit applicationsJune 25, 2012Press release
- March 2013ALM Law Journal
- August 25, 2011Westlaw Journal Intellectual Property
- Legal Planning for Public-Private Partnerships: The laws governing public-private partnerships for telecom networks are complex and variable.August/September 2011Broadband Communities
- June 28, 2011Compliance Week
- March 30, 2011MyHostNews.com
- March 28, 2011Managing Trade Marks
- The Information Highways Have Been Built, Now Who Will Build the Streets and Roads?
- The In's and Out's of Wholesale Agreements with Service ProvidersApril 16, 2013Broadband Communities Summit 2013, Dallas, TX
- Geopbytical Keys to Success of Municipal Open Access Fiber Optic Networks2012National Broadband Properties Summit 2012, Dallas, TX
University of Strathclyde (Glasgow, Scotland), L.L.M., Information Technology and Telecommunications Law
University of Utah, J.D.
- William H. Leary Scholar
Brigham Young University, B.A., International Relations and Spanish
- Utah State Bar
- Federal District Court for the District of Utah
Honors & Awards
- Star Award from the FTTH (Fiber-to-the-Home) Council
- Mr. Shaw is recognized as one of the Mountain States Super Lawyer Rising Stars.
Utah Bar Association
- Government Law Section, Member
- Communication Section, Secretary
Federal Communications Bar Association