Mr. Germane is a member of the firm's Tax and Estate Planning practice section. His focus is on estate, tax, business, and asset protection planning. He advises individuals and business owners on legally sound strategies to protect their assets and reduce or eliminate taxes. He counsels clients on legacy planning to maximize intergenerational wealth and reduce family stress and tension.
Presentations have included Beyond Plain Vanilla: Unique Tax and Financial Planning Opportunities with Charitable Trusts, Program-Related Investments and L3Cs: An Underutilized Tool for Private Foundations and the Key to the Toolshed?, What in the World is Estate Planning, Most Common Legal Mistakes Families Make, Most Common Legal Mistakes Business Owners Make. Mr. Germane is a Distinguished Faculty member for Lorman Education Services. His most recent webinar was The Three-Edged Sword of Discretion: Designing Discretionary Distribution Standards to Protect the Settlor, the Beneficiary and the Trustee.
Mr. Germane is certified as an Accredited Estate Planner® with the National Association of Estate Planners and Councils and as an Estate Planning Law Specialist with the Estate Law Specialist Board.
- Assisted founder and investors of $120 million business in protective planning, saving an estimated $1.5 million in income taxes, $40+ million in estate taxes and protecting assets from creditors and predators.
- Assisted owner of $17 million business, saving $400,000 in income taxes and estimated $7 million in estate taxes and protecting assets from creditors and predators.
- Assisted clients with real estate holdings worth $30+ million in reducing transfer taxes and protecting assets from creditors and predators.
- Assisted family business worth $10 million in transition to next generation while eliminating transfer taxes, reducing income taxes, and protecting assets from creditors and predators.
- Began a private practice in California, which he subsequently moved to Utah focusing on estate, tax, business, and asset protection planning.
- Associate with San Diego's oldest and largest law firm, Luce Forward Hamilton & Scripps, LLP. There he provided legal service to clients in numerous areas, including estate planning, charitable giving, probate and estate administration, probate and civil litigation, and business advisory.
- Legal extern for the international law firm of Baker & McKenzie in Monterrey, Mexico and later for the San Diego Public Defender.
- Financial analyst and representative for Northwestern Mutual, ranking in the Top 10 of all College Agents in the USA for volume production, and was the top College Agent in the Western Region.
- June 26, 2014CNN Money
- September 2013
- April 2013Estate Planning
- March 2013Utah Valley Healthcare Foundation
- July 2012The Wealth Counsel Quarterly
- Most Common Legal Mistakes Families MakeApril 2012
- Most Common Legal Mistakes Business Owners Make
- Beyond Plain Vanilla: Unique Tax and Financial Planning Opportunities with Charitable Trusts
- What in the World is Estate Planning?
- Program-Related Investments and L3Cs: An Underutilized Tool for Private Foundations, and the Key to the Tool-shed?
- February 2016
- February 10, 2014Press release
- December 19, 2013Press Release
- Designing Discretionary Distribution Standards to Protect the Settlor, the Beneficiary and the TrusteeAugust 26, 2014Live webinar 1:00 - 2:30 pm (ET)
- Utah Domestic Asset Protection Trusts: Overview, Requirements, Uses2013
- Portability: What You Need to Know About the “Game Changer”2013UVU Business and Economic Forum
- The Not-So-Imposing Clawback2012UVU Business and Economic Forum
- The End of Valuation Discounts?2012UVU Business and Economic Forum
- Family Limited Partnerships: Solutions to Growing Problems2012Utah Valley Estate Planning Council Spring Forum
Brigham Young University, J. Reuben Clark Law School, J.D., cum laude
- National Order of the Barristers
Brigham Young University, Marriott School of Management, B.S., Accounting
Honors & Awards
- Accredited Estate Planner
- Estate Planning Law Specialist
- 2014, Utah Valley Q magazine 30 in their 30s (30 successful executives in their 30s) honoree
- Utah Legal Elite Up & Coming: Estate Planning (2016)
Utah Valley University Gift Planning Advisory Board
Board Member, Utah Valley Estate Planning Council, President (2012)
Board of Directors, BYU Management Society
Salt Lake Estate Planning Council
Adjunct Professor in Legal Studies Department at Utah Valley University
Adjunct Professor in Business Law at BYU Marriott School
American Bar Association
San Diego County Bar Association
Utah Bar Association
- Tax Section
- Estate Planning Section
- Nonprofit Section
- Business Law Section
J. Reuben Clark Law Society