Joel D. Wright
Mr. Wright is a member of the firm's Real Property, Leasing & Land Use section. He represents clients on a wide variety of real estate matters related to financing, leasing, development, acquisition and zoning. He has substantial experience representing borrowers (including utilities), lenders, and underwriters on debt or equity financings between $1 million and $5 billion. He has represented over 40 charter schools collectively borrowing over $367 million to acquire, build or expand their facilities through a variety of financing approaches, and is widely recognized as the most experienced charter school attorney in the Intermountain West. He also chairs Kirton McConkie's Charter School Financing and Legal Services specialty practice area.
Mr. Wright was appointed by Utah's governor to serve on the Utah State Charter School Board and the Board of Regents, and also served on the Cedar Hills, Utah City Council. He is recognized by his peers as one of Utah's Legal Elite and a Mountain States Super Lawyer.
- Substantial experience representing borrowers and lenders in a wide variety of financings for real estate and infrastructure projects.
- Represent commercial landlords and tenants in a wide variety of leasing arrangements.
- Represented over 50 charter schools in Utah, Arizona, California and Idaho on the leasing, purchase and/or financing of their facilities, raising over $367 million through tax exempt debt, USDA financing, New Markets Tax Credit financing, Qualified School Construction Bonds or traditional bank financing.
- Represent borrower, lender or underwriter on debt or equity financings, experience working on transactions between $1 million and $5 billion.
- General Counsel of a start-up company that grew from 15 to 60 employees and raised multiple rounds of financing.
- Substantial experience educating and working with local, state and federal officials on legislation, regulation and loan requests.
- Fall 2013Charterology
- February 2016
- November 27, 2012Press Release
New York University, J.D., 1999
Brigham Young University, B.A., Economics & Political Science, 1996
- Utah, 2005
- Washington D.C., 2001 (Inactive)
- New York, 2000 (Inactive)
Honors & Awards
- Utah Legal Elite: Real Estate, Government
- Mountain States Super Lawyers: Real Estate
- Appointed to the Utah State Charter School Board by Utah's Governor
- Appointed to the Utah State Board of Regents by Utah's Governor
Secretary of the Education Section of the Utah Bar