Merrill F. Nelson
Mr. Nelson is a member of firm's First Amendment and Religious Organizations section and Litigation, Trials and Appeals section. His practice focuses on risk management consultation with clergy, social workers, and educators on matters of child abuse reporting, protection, and related issues. Mr. Nelson has extensive experience in appellate litigation, having handled over fifty cases in the state and federal appellate courts.
Mr. Nelson is a member of the American Professional Society of the Abuse of Children and a former member of the Guardian ad Litem Oversight Committee. He is member of the Utah House of Representatives and Vice-chairman of the House Judiciary Committee.
- Conducted numerous appeals in state and federal courts.
- Represents clients in a broad variety of matters, including insurance, real estate, construction, contested adoptions, personal injury, and child abuse.
- Advises clients on risk management and legislative matters.
- Served as a judicial clerk to Justice I. Daniel Stewart of the Utah Supreme Court.
- Utah Senior Citizens' HandbookApril 2012
- Practitioners' Guide to the Supreme Court of the State of UtahApril 2012Salt Lake County Bar Practice Manual
- Appellate Practice UpdateApril 23, 2012Utah Lawyer Alert
Brigham Young University, J. Reuben Clark Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1982
- Note and Comment Editor, BYU Law Review
Brigham Young University, B.S., Agricultural Economics, 1979
- Utah, 1982
- United States Supreme Court, 1987
- United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, 1984
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, 1986
- United States District Court for the District of Utah, 1982
Honors & Awards
- Mr. Nelson is recognized as one of Utah's Legal Elite for Business Litigation.
Member, Utah House of Representatives, 1991- 1992, 2013 - present; Vice-chair of House Judiciary Committee
Former member, Guardian ad Litem Oversight Committee of the Utah Judicial Council
Member, American Professional Society on the Abuse of Children
Utah State Bar:
- Served on the Utah Supreme Court Advisory Committee on Appellate Procedure
- Served on various other committees Utah Legislature, House Judiciary Committee, Former Vice-Chairman