Randy K. Johnson
Mr. Johnson is a member of the firm's Corporate section. He specializes in general business and commercial law, and he has extensive experience working with start-up and emerging growth companies, including advising founders and management regarding entity structure, financing, securities, taxation, intellectual property protection, and mergers and acquisitions. He also has significant experience drafting and negotiating a wide range of commercial agreements, including license agreements, distributorship agreements, purchase agreements, and joint venture agreements.
Mr. Johnson is particularly interested in clean and renewable energy technology, and has represented several clients involved in these emerging areas.
Mr. Johnson is recognized as one of Utah's Legal Elite for corporate law and transactions, as well as Best Lawyers for corporate law, and has an AV Preeminent rating by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Extensive experience working with start up and emerging growth companies, including advising founders and management regarding entity structure, financing, securities, taxation, intellectual property protection, and mergers and acquisitions. He also has significant experience drafting and negotiating a wide range of commercial agreements, distributorship agreements, purchase agreements, and joint venture agreements.
- Particularly interested in clean technology and renewable energy, and has represented several clients and entrepreneurs involved in these emerging areas.
- Prior to joining Kirton & McConkie, Mr. Johnson served as Vice President and General counsel of Daw Technologies, Inc., a NASDAQ listed company specializing in the international design and installation of cleanroom equipment and facilities. Early in his career, Mr. Johnson practiced securities and corporate law in San Francisco and in the Silicon Valley of California.
- Many years' securities practice includes assisting clients in the private placement of securities, venture capital financing, and public company reporting and compliance work. Having served as inside general counsel for two public companies, he is experienced in corporate governance from a legal as well as practical standpoint.
- Hands-on experience as an entrepreneur, having started and operated a number of small businesses.
- March 7, 2012Inside Counsel
- February 22, 2012Inside Counsel
- February 8, 2012Inside Counsel
- January 25, 2012Inside Counsel
- January 11, 2012Inside Counsel
- December 28, 2011Inside Counsel
- September 29, 2011Law360
- Choice of Business Entity in UtahDecember 19958 Utah Bar Journal 7
- August 18, 2015Press Release
- August 18, 2014Press Release
- August 15, 2013Press Release
- August 23, 2012Press release
- Speaker, "Selected Legal Aspects of Raising Capital," How to Raise Money in UtahJuly 2006Wayne Brown Institute
- Panel Member, "To Restate or Not to Restate: Handling a Disclosure Crisis," Twenty-Seventh Annual Securities Law WorkshopAugust 2004Utah State Bar
- Presenter, "Starting a Small Business"1996-1997 (weekly)Utah Small Business Development Center
- Speaker, "Setting up a Small Business - Organizational Details and How to Finance the Small Business," Counseling the Small Business Client in UtahApril 1997National Business Institute
- Speaker, "Optimizing the Business Entity"February 1997Utah Small Business and Access to Capital Conference, Salt Lake Community College
- Speaker, "Everything You Needed to Know About Business Law but were Afraid to Ask," Second Annual Shakespeare and CLE SeriesAugust 1996Utah State Bar
- Speaker, "Forming and Financing a Small Business," Counseling the Small Business Client in Utah1996National Business Institute
- Speaker, "Special Considerations in the Formation of a Business Entity," Basic Corporate Law in Utah1996National Business Institute
- Speaker, "Private Placements," How to Finance Your BusinessFebruary 1996Wayne Brown Institute
- Speaker, "Formation and Operation of a Corporation," Basic Corporate Law in UtahSeptember 1995National Business Institute
- Speaker, "Practicing Law Without a License," Working for or Representing Corporate ClientsMay 1989Utah State Bar
Boalt Hall School of Law, J.D., 1980, University of California, Berkeley
- Staff Member, Industrial Relations Law Journal
University of California, Berkeley, A.B., 1977, English; Chemistry minor
- Utah, 1980
- State Bar of California, 1983 (Inactive)
Honors & Awards
- Utah Legal Elite: Corporate Law (2008 - 2012)
- AV Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Best Lawyers: Corporate Law (2013 - 2016)
Utah State Bar, admitted 1980
Chair, Business Law Section of the Utah State Bar, 2006-2007
Member, Committee of Bar Examiners, Utah State Bar, 1989-present
Volunteer Consultant, Utah Microenterprise Loan Fund, 2004-present
Secretary, California Alumni Association of Utah