Ryan B. Frazier
Mr. Frazier is a member of the firm’s Employment and Labor and Litigation sections. His practice focuses on civil and commercial lawsuits, with a specific emphasis on representing employers in employment disputes. He has extensive experience representing clients in discrimination, harassment, noncompetition and leave disputes. He has tried cases before judges, juries, arbitrators, and administrative panels, ranging from one-day bench trials to a seven-week jury trial. Regardless of whether he is litigating in state or federal courts or engaging in alternatives to the court system, such as mediation or arbitration, he takes an efficient, results-oriented approach to problem solving.
Drawing upon his education, training, and experience, he regularly advises employers regarding sensitive employment matters, including termination issues, discrimination and harassment allegations, sexual harassment investigations, leave issues, wage and hour issues, and accommodations for persons with disabilities. He routinely drafts and reviews employment contracts, noncompetition and confidentiality restrictive covenants, employee handbooks, separation agreements and policies relating to employment.
He previously served as Chair of the firm’s Litigation section and has served as Chair of the Executive Committee of the Litigation Section of the Utah State Bar. Before joining Kirton McConkie in 2005, he was a judicial clerk for Associate Chief Justice Leonard H. Russon, Utah Supreme Court (2001-2002) and worked as an associate at a Salt Lake City law firm specializing in litigation.
Mr. Frazier has been recognized as one of Utah’s Legal Elite and one of the Mountain States Super Lawyers for business litigation.
- Successfully defended the region’s biggest integrated healthcare organization against antitrust claims for $89 million in damages, vindicating the organization’s rights to select its providers. The decision was affirmed on appeal.
- Procured judgment dismissing all claims brought against a developer in which the plaintiff was seeking a $2.7 million deficiency judgment following a non-judicial foreclosure and obtained an award of over $200,000 in attorney fees for the developer incurred in defending against the claims.
- Obtained court-issued temporary restraining orders and preliminary injunction orders prohibiting and enjoining former employees from competing with clients in cases involving non-compete and non-solicitation agreements.
- Obtained judgment for a credit union against former employee claiming age and disabilities discrimination lawsuit.
- Successfully defended multiple employers against charges of discrimination filed with the EEOC and state agencies.
- Successfully led a trial team proving a lease-option to purchase actually constituted an equitable mortgage. Attorney fees were awarded and the client was able to reclaim the home.
- Has favorably resolved Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Age Discrimination in Employment (ADEA) claims brought against employers as well as issues arising from non-compete agreements.
Recent Blog Posts
- Federal Court Blocks New Overtime Rule from Taking Effect
- DOL Issues Final Rule Increasing the Salary Threshold for the Overtime Exemptions
- Utah Passes New Law Placing Restrictions on Noncompetition Agreements
- Why do employers need employee handbooks?
- Conducting a pay-to-play fantasy sports league may be gambling with the law
Perspective: Kirton McConkie Law Blog
- March 2017Utah Employment Law Letter
- February 2017Utah Employment Law Letter
- January 15, 2017Utah Employment Law Letter
- January 2017Utah Employment Law Letter
- December 2016Utah Employment Law Letter
- November 2016Utah Employment Law Letter
- October 2016Utah Employment Law Letter
- June 2016Utah Employment Law Letter
- May 2016Utah Employment Law Letter
- April 2016Utah Employment Law Letter
- March 2016Utah Employment Law Letter
- February 2016Westlaw Journal
- December 2015Utah Employment Law Letter
- July 2015
- March 2015Utah Employment Law Letter
- March 12, 2015Utah Employment Law Letter
- January 2015
- October 2014Utah Employment Law Letter
- July 2014Utah Employment Law Letter
- May 2014Utah Employment Law Letter
- March 2014Utah Employment Law Letter
- February 2014Utah Employment Law Letter
- February 19, 2014HR Hero
- January 2014
- December 2013Utah Employment Law Letter
- October 2013Utah Employment Law Letter
- April 28, 2013Media One Law Day supplement in the Salt Lake Tribune
- December 2012The Corporate Counselor
- July 2011Utah Business
- March 2016Press Release
- October 29, 2015Press release
- June 12, 2015Press Release
- June 11, 2014Press Release
- Kirton McConkie lawyers participate in Utah Constitution DaySeptember 17, 2013Press release
- May 10, 2013Press Release
- December 19, 2012Press Release
- June 11, 2014Salt Lake City, UT
- Deciphering FMLA, ADA and Worker's Compensation IssuesJune 12, 2013Salt Lake City, UT
- Believe It or Not Business Lawsuits: Frivolous or Legitimate?June 22, 2012Salt Lake City, UT
- Complex Commercial Litigation
- Labor and Employment
- Discrimination and Harassment
- Employee Handbooks and Policies
- Employment Contracts and Agreements
- Terminations, Layoffs and Plant Closures
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Workers' Compensation
- Real Estate
- Landlord/Tenant Disputes
University of Utah, J.D., 2000
- Utah Law Review
- William H. Leary Scholar
University of Utah, B.A., Political Science, 1996
- Judicial law clerk to Justice Leonard H. Russon, Utah Supreme Court
- Utah, 2001
- Idaho, 2000
- United States District Court for the District of Idaho, 2000
- United States District Court for the District of Utah, 2001
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 2000
Honors & Awards
- Utah Legal Elite: Business Litigation (2011, 2006)
- Mountain States Super Lawyers: Rising Star in Business Litigation (2011- 2013, 2008)
- Mountain States Super Lawyers: Business Litigation (2014 - 2016)
Chair, Litigation section, Utah State Bar, 2012 - 2013
Chair-elect, Litigation section, Utah State Bar, 2011- 2012
Treasurer, Litigation section, Utah State Bar, 2009 - 2011
Secretary, Litigation section, Utah State Bar, 2007- 2009
American Bar Association
Salt Lake County Bar Association