R. Shawn Gunnarson
Mr. Gunnarson is a member of the firm's Litigation and First Amendment and Religious Organizations sections. His practice includes Internet governance, telecommunications, constitutional law and appellate litigation. He was recently appointed to a four-year term as a member of the Utah Supreme Court Advisory Committee on Rules of Appellate Procedure.
- Advise global organizations on Internet governance, formulate strategic recommendations to achieve their goals, and assist with executing that strategy.
- Quoted in The Economist and The Financial Times in articles discussing Internet governance.
- Wrote formal comments on proposed changes to the U.S. Department of Commerce contract that authorizes the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) to act as the global technical coordinator for the Internet.
- Wrote formal comments on several policy changes proposed by ICANN.
- Wrote blogs on ICANN and Internet governance that have attracted 54,000 hits.
- Served as Senior Counsel to U.S. Senator Robert F. Bennett, advising him on issues regarding Internet governance, telecommunications, cyber security, critical infrastructure protection, intellectual property, and constitutional law.
- Served as ex officio member of the CSIS Commission on Cyber Security for the 44th Presidency.
- Assisted with civil appeals before federal appellate courts and state supreme courts involving the First Amendment, torts, choice of law, and state rules of civil procedure.
- Represented a landowner before the U.S. Supreme Court and the South Carolina Supreme Court in a prominent regulatory takings case.
- Represented state-owned energy suppliers in complex and appellate litigation regarding the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act, the domestic execution of international arbitral awards, and valid service of process.
- Represented clients as amici curiae in 40 cases before the U.S. Supreme Court, presenting, among others, questions under the Takings Clause, the Commerce Clause, the First Amendment Speech and Establishment Clauses, and the Patent Clause.
- December 17, 2014The Hill
- September 17, 2014InsideCounsel
- March 23, 2014LawDragon
- Summer 2013JAMS Dispute Resolution Alert
- March 23, 2013The Columbia Science and Technology Law Review
- March 11, 2013TechHive
- June 13, 2012Law360
- June 13, 2012Adweek
- March 2012Inside Counsel
- February 24, 2012Inside Counsel
- January 27, 2012Inside Counsel
- January 13, 2012Inside Counsel
- January 10, 2012Inside Counsel
- December 30, 2011Inside Counsel
- October 1, 2011The Economist
- August 25, 2011Westlaw Journal Intellectual Property
- Final Report of the ICANN Board of Directors/GAC Joint Working Group on the Review of the Role of the GACAugust 2011Commentary
- July 7, 2011Financial Times
- June 27, 2011Bloomberg Law Report
- April 4, 2011Blog post
- IANA Functions Contract Notice of Inquiry ResponseMarch 30, 2011Formal Comment
- December 6, 2010Blog post
- Accountability After the AOCSeptember 8, 2010Fifth GigaNet Annual Symposium, Vilnius (poster session)
- August 2010Blog
- August 2010Blog
- June 2010White paper
- Using History to Reshape the Discussion of Judicial Review (Comment)April 20011994 BYU Law Review (151, cited in Harvard Journal of law & Public Policy, New England Law Review, The Review of Politics, and The Supreme Court Economic Review)
- Just Compensation and the Endangered Species ActABA Handbook on the Endangered Species Act (2001) (cited in Yale Journal on Regulation)
- Note, No Constitutional ShelterApril 19937 B.Y.U. J. Pub. L. 413 (1993) (cited in B.Y.U. Law Review and George Mason Law Review)
- Upheaval in Internet Ecosystems: Is Your Future Safe?June 23, 2013IMD Global Business Conference in Lausanne, Switzerland
- Theorizing Fact-Based Policy for ICANNSeptember 9, 2011Sixth GigaNet Annual Symposium, Nairobi (invited to present)
- Co-Panelist on Governments: What is their role?August 24, 2011.nxt Conference, San Francisco
- The Explosion in New Domain NamesAugust 18, 2011Utah Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section
- Internet Governance and ICANN: Emerging Policy IssuesJune 18, 2010Joint Conference of the Centre for European Policy Studies and Technology Policy Institute, Brussels
Brigham Young University, J.D., cum laude, 1994
- Scholarly Writing Award, 1994
- Member, BYU Law Review, 1993-94
Brigham Young University, B.A., Political Science and Honors in Philosophy (University Honors with Thesis), magna cum laude, 1991
- Utah, 1995
- District of Columbia, 2002
- Supreme Court of the United States
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Utah
Appointee, Utah Supreme Court Advisory Committee on Rules of Appellate Procedure, 2015 - 2019