Shawn T. Richards
Mr. Richards is a member of the firm's Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution sections. He counsels individuals and business entities on litigation-related risks and represents clients in commercial litigation and alternative methods of dispute resolution related to large and small commercial cases, intellectual property and general civil matters. Mr. Richards’ also routinely advises trustees and personal representatives in trust and probate matters ranging from small matters to large, multi-million dollar disputes.
Mr. Richards also represents international adoption agencies throughout the country on matters related to Hague-accreditation and other matters pending before the Council on Accreditation. He has successfully helped agencies achieve reaccreditation through creative and collaborative team-work and has helped agencies handle complaints from former clients, employees and state government officials.
Mr. Richards is recognized as one of Utah's Legal Elite for business litigation and as a Mountain States Super Lawyer for intellectual property litigation.
- Provides outside general counsel representation for international adoption agencies, including representation of Hague-accredited agencies or agencies seeking Hague-accreditation before the Council on Accreditation.
Represents clients in large, multi-million dollar trust disputes as well as smaller-sized trust disputes.
Experience with large, multi-million dollar, complex multi-state litigation.
- Successfully prosecuted a criminal contempt proceeding against clients civil lawsuit opponent.
- Successfully represented lawyers in Bar disputes before the Utah State Bar Commission.
- Represented one of China's largest manufacturers of clothing apparel in enforcement of its intellectual property rights.
- Represents large commercial clients and private individual clients in all areas of business, construction, and real property related litigation. Substantial experience litigating partnership disputes, including actions by a minority shareholder for oppression and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Experience managing high-volume document production.
- Prior to joining Kirton & McConkie, spent one year in New York City as an associate with the law firm Davis Polk & Wardwell, advising large, publicly-traded corporations on all aspects of mergers & acquisitions, public debt and equity offerings, derivative debt offerings, tender offers, and other areas of corporate governance.
- Litigation law clerk, Berman & Savage, Salt Lake City, Utah
- March 2016Press Release
- June 12, 2015Press Release
- May 6, 2015Press Release
- April 3, 2015Press Release
- June 11, 2014Press Release
- June 22, 2012Press Release
University of Utah, S.J. Quinney School of Law, J.D., with Honors, 2006
- Traynor Moot Court
- William H. Leary Scholar
Weber State University, B.A., magna cum laude, 2003
- Utah, 2008
- New York, 2007
- Federal Court in California
- Federal Court in Ohio
- Federal Court in Wyoming
- 6th Circuit Court of Appeals
- 10th Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States Bankruptcy Court, District of Utah
Honors & Awards
- Mountain States Super Lawyers: Rising Star in Intellectual Property Litigation (2013, 2012), Business Litigation (2014 - 2016)
- Utah Legal Elite: Up & Coming (2015), Civil and Business Litigation (2011)
- Pro Bono Law Firm of the Year awarded by Utah Chapter of the Federal Bar Association to Kirton & McConkie due to his pro bono efforts.
American Bar Association
Utah State Bar
- Young Lawyers Division, Member
- Litigation section, Member
Salt Lake County Bar Association, Member
Weber County Bar Association, Member
Golden Key Honor Society, Member
Crimson Club, University of Utah, Member
J. Reuben Clark Law Society, Member
Member, Kirton McConkie Hiring Committee
Board Member, Wasatch International Adoption Agency
Board Member, Anything For A Friend, Inc.