Thomas K. Checketts
Mr. Checketts is a member of the firm's Real Estate section and Litigation section. He recently completed his tenure as Chairman of the Real Property section of the Utah State Bar. His practice concentrates on eminent domain, regulatory takings, condemnation, real estate acquisition, development, financing, and owner's associations.
Mr. Checketts represents condemnees, condemners, buyers, sellers, and developers. He also represents major land owners in property subdivision, development, governmental land use approvals, permitting, acquisition, leasing, financing and disposition.
Mr. Checketts is recognized as one of Utah's Legal Elite and a Mountain States Super Lawyer Rising Star for real estate as well as recognized by Best Lawyers in America for eminent domain and condemnation.
- Represents landowners whose property is being condemned or taken under threat of condemnation both in protecting the owners' interest in the remaining land and in helping the property owners receive just compensation.
- Represents condeming authorities in negotiating with landowners and keeping their projects moving forward in a timely manner.
- Represents buyers, sellers, developers, and lenders in the financing, acquisition, planning and zoning, development, entitlements, leasing, and sale of residential, agricultural, commercial, and industrial properties
- Represents major land owners in property subdivision, development, governmental land use approvals, permitting, acquisition, leasing, and disposition
- Works in all stages of litigation in matters concerning eminent domain, contractual disputes, land use, regulatory takings, administrative, municipal, and environmental law
- Practiced with Alston & Bird in Atlanta, Georgia, prior to joining Kirton McConkie
- June 2011Utah Business
- March 2016Press Release
- August 18, 2015Press Release
- June 12, 2015Press Release
- April 3, 2015Press Release
- June 11, 2014Press Release
- February 27, 2014Press Release
- Condemnation From Start to FinishFebruary 2015Utah State Bar
- Utah’s Unique Condemnation Regime2014Brigham Young University Education Week
- Recent Developments in Condemnation Law in Utah2014International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
- Recent Developments in Condemnation Law in Utah2013International Council of Shopping Centers (ICSC)
- Current Status of Eminent Domain in UtahJune 8, 2012Utah State Bar 2011 Summer Convention, San Diego, CA
Brigham Young University, J. Reuben Clark Law School, J.D., 2000
- Moot Court Board Top Oralist, Moot Court Trial Advocacy Traveling Team
Utah State University, M.B.A., cum laude, 1994
Utah State University, B.A., Production Management, magna cum laude, 1994
- Extern for the Honorable Dale A. Kimball, U.S. District Court, Salt Lake City
- Utah, 2001
- Georgia, 2001 (currently inactive)
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers: Eminent Domain and Condemnation Law (2016)
- Utah Legal Elite: Real Estate (2010 - 2015)
- Mountain States Super Lawyer: Real Estate (2015 - 2016, 2009 - 2013)
- Mountain States Super Lawyer: Real Estate (2014)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV-rated
Chair, Real Property Section of the Utah State Bar, 2010 - 2011