Thomas A. Mecham
Mr. Mecham is a member of the Board of Directors and Vice President of the firm. He is a member of the firms's Tax and Estate Planning, and Corporate sections. Mr. Mecham specializes in wills, trusts and estate plans for clients with a net worth generally in the range of $3 million to $15 million, but also for many larger estates. Other services include advising fiduciaries in trust and estate administration and probate, as well as filing estate and gift tax returns.
Since most of his estate planning clients are also business owners, they appreciate Mr. Mecham's business and accounting background in understanding their unique challenges. Using both business and legal strategies, he works with clients to properly structure businesses for tax minimization, to manage relationships with co-owners and to provide creative solutions for business succession. He has significant experience negotiating and preparing complex buy-sell arrangements and operating agreements.
Mr. Mecham is recognized as one of Utah's Legal Elite in estate planning and is a Mountain States Super Lawyer in estate planning and probate.
- Member, Kirton McConkie Board of Directors.
- Practiced with the law firm of Ray, Quinney & Nebeker, where he was a shareholder and director.
- Adjunct Professor, University of Utah David Eccles School of Business, 1995-1997.
- August 2011Utah Business
- March 2016Press Release
- February 2016
- August 18, 2015Press Release
- June 12, 2015Press Release
- April 3, 2015Press Release
- August 18, 2014Press Release
- June 11, 2014Press Release
- February 27, 2014Press Release
- August 15, 2013Press Release
- Kirton McConkie Tax and Estate Planning lawyer Becomes Fellow of The American College of Trust and Estate CounselMay 23, 2013Press Release
Columbia University School Of Law, J.D., 1993
- "Best Brief," First Year Moot Court Competition
- J. Reuben Clark Law Society, Chairman
University of Utah, David Eccles School of Business, M.B.A., 1995
- Francis A. Madsen Merit Scholarship
- Roland & Rhea T. Stucki Merit Scholarship
University of Utah, B.A., Accounting/English Minor, With Honors, 1990
- Honors at Entrance Scholarship 1984-90
- Beta Alpha Psi Honor Society
- Beta Sigma Honor Society
- Sigma Chi Fraternity
- Law clerk to the Honorable J. Thomas Greene of the United States District Court, District of Utah
- Utah, 1993
Honors & Awards
- Utah Legal Elite: Estate Planning (2006 - 2017)
- Mountain States Super Lawyers: Estate Planning & Probate (2008 - 2016)
- Best Lawyers: Trusts and Estates (2014 - 2016), Tax Law (2015, 2016) and Business Organizations (2015, 2016)
Utah State Bar
- Estate Planning Section, Past Chair
- Tax Section, Past Chair
Salt Lake Estate Planning Council, Past President
Primary Children's Medical Center, Planned Gifts Committee, Volunteer, 2008-2009