R. Willis Orton
Mr. Orton is a member of the firm's Litigation section. His practice concentrates in complex business litigation including real estate, banking, securities fraud, antitrust, fiduciary, intellectual property, and shareholder litigation. As a former Chair of the Litigation Section of the Utah State Bar, his respect by his peers has been confirmed by his repeated selection as one of Utah's Legal Elite as well as a Mountain States Super Lawyer.
Mr. Orton was featured in Benchmark Litigation 2016 and 2017 as a litigation star for outstanding work in litigation and is a fellow in the prestigious Litigation Counsel of America.
- Client awarded and paid $16 million judgment in federal court fiduciary lawsuit.
- Represented majority shareholder of Utah's largest and oldest department store in successfully negotiating sale of store in the face of claims of oppression of minority shareholders.
- Litigated wrongful termination claim and negotiated seven figure settlement from a public traded company in favor of individual client.
- Secured $700,000 jury verdict in federal securities fraud trial.
- Client municipality's summary judgment award dismissing shareholder derivative claims upheld on appeal.
- Client awarded over $1.4 million in settlement of shareholder derivative claim following entry of injunction prohibiting opposing party from operating business and destroying its value.
- Following mediation, client awarded seven figure settlement of buy-out claims relating to his interest in mine drilling venture.
- Received no cause verdict in favor of Utah bank charged in $45 million racketeering jury trial.
- March 2016Press Release
- February 2016
- October 29, 2015Press release
- September 11, 2015Press Release
- June 12, 2015Press Release
- May 5, 2015Press release
- October 29, 2014Press Release
- June 11, 2014Press Release
- October 21, 2013Press Release
- May 10, 2013Press Release
- April 11, 2013Press Release
- November 23, 2012Press Release
- October 22, 2012Press release
- September 6, 2012Press Release
- June 22, 2012Press Release
- What Accountants and Lawyers Can Learn from ActorsOctober 2015TAGLaw International Conference, Santa Monica, California
- Performing Service through the LawFebruary 2010J. Reuben Clark Law Society Conference, Litigation section panel
- A Lawyer’s Duty to Zealously Advocate and the Lawyer’s Right to Withdraw (presentation and paper)September 2006Central Utah Bar Association and the Utah State Bar, Springville, Utah
- The Legal Issues--Safe, Health and Environmental Programs2005BYU Risk Management and Safety Conference
- Piercing the Corporate Veil and Sarbanes-Oxley Reforms2002Sponsored by Kirton McConkie
- Depositions at Trial2002Utah State Bar, Litigation Section panel
- The Art of Deposition Preparation2001Utah State Bar panel
- Preparing of Witnesses for Depositions1999National Business Institute Seminar
- Advising Corporate Clients to Avoid Alter EgoJanuary 1996Salt Lake Chapter, Utah Association of CPAs
- Strategies for Avoiding Litigation1992Sponsored by Callister, Duncan & Nebeker
University of Utah, S.J. Quinney School of Law, J.D., 1981
Brigham Young University, B.S., magna cum laude, 1977
- Utah, 1981
- United States Supreme Court, 2000
- United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 2010
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 1995
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, 1992
- United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, 1984
- United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania, 1991
- United States District Court for the Northern District of California, 1989
- United States District Court for the District of Utah, 1981
Honors & Awards
- Benchmark Litigation: 2016, 2017
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Utah Legal Elite: 2005-present
- Super Lawyers, Business: Business Litigation, 2011
- Mountain States Super Lawyers: Business Litigation, 2014 - 2016, 2010, 2009, 2007
- Super Lawyers, Corporate Counsel, 2008, 2010
- Elected to Marquis "Who's Who in American Law," 1999-present
- Elected to the "Outstanding Young Men of America," 1986
- Kirton McConkie, Board of Directors, 2000-2006
- Kirton McConkie, Hiring Committee, Chair, 2001-2002
Utah State Bar, Litigation Section, Chair, 2001-2002
American Inn of Court, a society dedicated to the improvement of oral advocacy and the litigation process (has been a member of two chapters)
Model Jury Instructions of Utah (MUJI), Business Torts Subcommittee responsible for drafting the Utah State model jury instructions for business torts, Chair
- Firm Co-Representative
- Co-Chair, Litigation and ADR Specialty Group, 2008 to 2014
- Co-Chair, Competition and Antitrust Specialty group, 2015 to present
Boy Scouts of America, Former Scoutmaster