Regardless of the space size or type of property, a poorly drafted lease can have devastating results for a business or a landlord—particularly in this business climate. Our real estate attorneys have significant experience drafting, negotiating and settling disputes in Utah and around the world concerning office, industrial, commercial/retail, and residential leases.
Our goal is to protect your best interests either as the landlord or tenant, to make sure you fully understand the terms of the lease and to provide advice regarding prevailing real estate laws.
Some of the most contentious disputes arise over seemingly harmless details while other issues have a critical impact on one or both parties. Such disputes often include misunderstandings about respective obligations over common area maintenance, compliance with local, state and federal ordinances or laws, tenant rights regarding sub-leasing and the landlord’s rights and obligations related to adjacent businesses.
We represent commercial landlords and tenants, building owners, developers, brokers as well as commercial real estate buyers and sellers with nearly every type of lease including:
- Retail and commercial spaces and shopping centers
- Office buildings and complexes
- Industrial properties
- Residential properties
- Ground leases
- Wind energy and mineral leases
- Agricultural land leases
Our commercial lease services include, but are not limited to:
- Lease preparation and negotiations: Whether you are the landlord or tenant, we work toward drafting and negotiating the most favorable lease provisions and terms possible and advise you about potential pitfalls.
- Lease review: Even for an existing lease, a review by a qualified real estate attorney can help you understand the obligations and consequences of the terms, help you stay in compliance and, if necessary, begin negotiations for more favorable terms.
- Disputes: Our real estate attorneys resolve lease disputes or breach of contract using the best option for the situation, whether it is negotiation, mediation, arbitration, or litigation.
- Lease termination: As a landlord or tenant, sometimes situations develop making early termination of a lease advantageous to one or both parties. We work closely with clients for successful resolution.
- Corporation of the Presiding Bishop of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- City Creek Reserve, Inc. (City Creek Center)
- Suburban Land Reserve, Inc.
- Property Reserve, Inc.
- Utah Property Management Associates, LLC
- LNR Commercial Property Group
- Ninigret Group, L.C.
- The Thackeray Company
- Fourels Investment Company and affiliates, including,
- MicAm, LLC
- OneFourteen Partners, LLC
- Park V Partners, LLC
Articles & White Papers
- June 2011The Corporate Counselor
- January 30, 2013Press Release