First Amendment and Religious Organizations
The First Amendment and Religious Organizations group has handled significant issues in courts and administrative hearings across the country at all levels, including the United States Supreme Court. These constitutional and civil rights issues have related to the rights of religious organizations, free speech and free press, protests, defamation defense, civil rights violations and land use and zoning ordinances for religious organizations.
We have significant experience addressing and helping clients successfully navigate the unique and changing legal issues that religious organizations face. Our attorneys have successfully helped clergy and religious organizations prevail in litigation and administrative hearings regarding high stakes tort litigation and disputes involving clergy privilege and the constitutional rights of religious groups.
Our attorneys have particular experience in areas such as:
Domestic and international religious liberty issues.
Public policy and government relations.
Risk management consultation with clergy, social workers and educators on matters of child abuse.
- August 18, 2014Press Release
- July 1, 2014Press Release
- August 15, 2013Press Release
- September 13, 2012Press Release
- August 23, 2012Press release
Articles & White Papers
- The Status and Threats to International Law on Freedom of Religion or Belief2012The Future of Religious Freedom: Global Challenges
- Voluntary Codes of Conduct for Religious Persuasion: Effective Tools for Balancing Human Rights and Resolving Conflicts?2011Religion and Human Rights 6
- 2010International Journal of Religious Freedom 3:2, pages 65-104