When intellectual property is one of your primary assets, you need attorneys who understand how to blend legal and business strategies in your best interests. You also need attorneys with a fierce command of litigation when your IP assets are being challenged.
As one of the largest Intellectual Property law firms in the Intermountain West, we bring a depth of knowledge to your unique business situation—whether domestically or internationally. We routinely handle matters involving electrical and computer-related technology, medical devices, pharmaceutical products, biotechnology, bioengineering and a wide variety of mechanical and chemical systems and apparatus.
Our attorneys have scientific backgrounds in physics, chemistry, biology and engineering and all are either registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office or have considerable patent litigation experience. Our intellectual property group is comprised of former patent examiners, former in-house counsel for major corporations and internationally qualified mediators.
The firm is recognized as an AV Preeminent Rated Intellectual Property Law firm by Martindale-Hubbell and is repeatedly recognized for excellence as a top patent firm by Intellectual Property Today.
We offer a full spectrum of intellectual property services, including patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade regulation, trade secrets, domain names, litigation and dispute resolution. The group has exceptional experience managing intellectual property portfolios for large domestic and international clients, specifically those with Asian and European interests. We represent Fortune 500 and other public and private clients in state, federal, foreign and international forums throughout the world.
What is the benefit of all this to you? Sound yet innovative IP tactics combined with real world practicality.
Kirton McConkie IP attorneys have been highly involved as past and current leaders in organizations such as the Intellectual Property Section of the Utah State Bar, the International Trademark Association, the Utah and national societies of The Licensing Executives Society International and the International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys.
Our intellectual property group has significant experience with:
- Trademark Litigation
- Trade Dress Litigation
- False Advertising Litigation
- Unfair Competition Litigation
- Lanham Act Litigation
- Domain Name Litigation
- Right of Publicity Litigation
- Advertising Litigation
- Trademark Cancellations
- Trademark Oppositions
- TTAB Proceedings
- UDRP Proceedings
The Leahy-Smith America Invents Act is the first large-scale U.S. patent law reform in 60 years, which will dramatically reshape existing patent laws. While the Act creates streamlined alignment between U.S. patent law and international patent laws, it also significantly changes the landscape for obtaining and enforcing patents.
Below are presentations from a seminar hosted by Kirton McConkie that outline the The Leahy-Smith America Invents Act:
American Invents Act Overview by Ken Horton, Shareholder, Kirton McConkie
Prior User Rights by Sally Brown, Patent Counsel, Autoliv
Joinder of Parties by James Larson, Corporate & IP Counsel, Innovative Medical Device Solutions
Patent Marking Under the AIA by Jill Powlick, Corporate Intellectual Property Counsel, Idaho Technology, Inc.
- October 17, 2014Press Release
- July 1, 2014Press Release
- June 11, 2014Press Release
- April 22, 2013Press release
- January 29, 2013
- November 16, 2012Press Release
Articles & White Papers
- May 7, 2015InsideCounsel
- April 23, 2015InsideCounsel
- April 9, 2015InsideCounsel
- March 26, 2015InsideCounsel
- March 12, 2015InsideCounsel
- November 2014Utah Business
- October 14, 2014World Trademark Review
- September 17, 2014InsideCounsel
- September 3, 2014InsideCounsel
- August 20, 2014InsideCounsel
- August 6, 2014InsideCounsel
- July 23, 2014InsideCounsel
- July 11, 2014Law360
- July 9, 2014InsideCounsel
- April 30, 2014Law360
- January 2014Technology Transfer Tactics
- March 20, 2013Law360
- March 20, 2013Law360
- March 1, 2013MacNewsWorld
- January 23, 2013Inside Counsel
- January 2013Bloomberg's Patent, Trademark & Copyright Journal
- April 20, 2012Bloomberg Law Reports
- March 5, 2012Bloomberg Law Reports
- February 19, 2012The Washington Post
- January 13, 2012Inside Counsel
- Information Services, Technology and Data ProtectionSpring 201044 The International Lawyer 1
- Resolution of Patent and Technology Disputes by Arbitration and Mediation: A View From the United StatesApril 2008Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (74 Arbitration 385)
- Government Use of Free SoftwareSpring 2004Public Contract Law Journal, American Bar Association, Volume 33, Number 3