Every company should take a close look at two very basic issues related to the importance of the Internet in everyday business matters:
- Increased exposure for trademark infringement and cybersquatting due to ICANN’s expanded gTLD program.
- How the new gTLDs, which include generic industry names such as “dotShop” and a broad range of well-known brand names may impact your company. Do you know whether another organization has applied for a generic name associated with your industry and whether your competitors have applied for new gTLDs to grab competitive advantage?
New gTLDs will also bring fresh opportunities. Dozens of applied-for gTLDs include non-Latin characters, meaning we will now see full Internet addresses in Mandarin, Cyrillic, Arabic and more, which offers another level of opportunities for global expansion.
Kirton McConkie offers the following key services related to the new generic top level domain names (gTLD) application reveal list announced by ICANN.
- Establish internal processes for maintaining compliance with the ICANN registry agreement if you have secured a gTLD, even if you intend only to use it for corporate purposes and not open it to the public.
- Devise a strategy for protecting an organization’s interests at the second-level of new gTLDs.
- Monitor ICANN policies and submit public comments on proposed modifications to the gTLD application process and to other proposed ICANN policies.
- Advise how to incorporate new gTLDs and other ICANN policies into a business plan.
Articles & White Papers
- December 17, 2014The Hill
- April 25, 2014E-Commerce Times
- March 23, 2014LawDragon
- March 23, 2013The Columbia Science and Technology Law Review
- March 11, 2013TechHive
- March 2013ALM Law Journal
- June 13, 2012Law360
- June 13, 2012Adweek
- March 2012Inside Counsel
- February 24, 2012Inside Counsel
- January 27, 2012Inside Counsel
- January 13, 2012Inside Counsel
- January 10, 2012Inside Counsel
- December 30, 2011Inside Counsel
- June 27, 2011Bloomberg Law Report
- December 6, 2010Blog post
- August 2010Blog
- August 2010Blog
- June 2010White paper
- December 17, 2012
- Upheaval in Internet Ecosystems: Is Your Future Safe?June 23, 2013