Kirton McConkie attorneys have extensive experience in matters affecting federal, state and local governments, including negotiation with federal and state agencies and representation of municipalities, inter-local cooperative entities, charter schools, special improvement and service districts and similar types of special focus government agencies.
We are uniquely adept in representing all areas of governmental and privately-owned utilities enterprises, including electricity, telecommunications, water, sewer, golf courses, waste management, libraries, roads and airports.
Members of our Government and Utilities Practice Group hail from prior in-house experience in governmental settings and understand the internal and external pressures faced by government. Additionally, our attorneys represent multifaceted privately-owned utilities. As part of our repertoire, we serve as special counsel to governmental and educational institutions in connection with complex financial transactions, typically in the capacity of issuer’s counsel.
Our expertise spans a wide variety of additional substantive practice areas, including administrative practice, appropriations, bid protests, civil rights, construction law, economic development incentives and programs, risk management, education, federal representation and appropriations, finance, government contracts and procurement, health care, insurance, labor and employment, land use and zoning, licensing, litigation, public/private partnerships and redevelopment, public utility regulation, real estate, telecommunications, transportation and water.
- Issuer’s counsel in recent $29.5 million municipal telecommunications bond
- Special Project Counsel for $16 million Broadband Stimulus Project for UTOPIA under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) of 2009
- Special project counsel for the Broadband Stimulus Project for Columbia County, GA under ARRA
- Issuer’s Counsel for $185 million letter of credit for UTOPIA
- Issuer’s Counsel for $185 million municipal bond issue for UTOPIA
- Special Project Counsel to WiredWest
- Issuer’s Counsel for $6.9 million municipal bond issue for the city of Powell, WY
- Special Counsel to Design Nine in connection with the Rockbridge Area Network Authority Broadband project
- Counsel to Northwest Projects Joint Powers Improvement Board
- Counsel to Panhandle Area Council
- Counsel to Columbia County, GA
- Counsel to one of the country’s largest investor-owned electricity utilities
- Corporate counsel to large municipal financial advisory firm
News & Events
- Kirton McConkie webinar, 01.2015
- Gigabit Nation Talk Radio, 07.15.2014
- The In's and Out's of Wholesale Agreements with Service ProvidersBroadband Communities Summit 2013, Dallas, TX, 04.16.2013
- Communications Daily, 05.14.2015
- E-Commerce Times, 04.25.2014
- Do agencies have the power to determine the scope of their own jurisdiction?Inside Counsel, 02.02.2013
- Legal Planning for Public-Private Partnerships: The laws governing public-private partnerships for telecom networks are complex and variable.Broadband Communities, August/September 2011
- Ars Technica, 02.09.2009
- National Journal, 02.19.2005
- Slate, 10.10.2004
- The Washington Post, 05.16.2004