Mr. Wahlquist is a member of the firm's Litigation section. His diverse litigation practice for commercial and construction clients has included projects in all 50 U.S. states as well as Canada, Europe, Africa, Mexico, South America, Asia and Guam. Mr. Wahlquist has successfully litigated cases in numerous state and federal courts.
Representation frequently includes business entities, property owners, developers, general contractors and subcontractors to resolve real estate, contract, construction and other commercial disputes through negotiation, mediation, arbitration, and/or litigation.
Mr. Wahlquist has served as an arbitrator for the American Arbitration Association for over 25 years. He is recognized as a Top Rated Lawyer by Martindale-Hubbell in construction law and has been recognized as one of Utah's Legal Elite for civil litigation, Best Lawyers for commercial, construction and real estate litigation and Mountain States Super Lawyers for business litigation.
Utah State Bar Association, Litigation, ADR and Construction Law Sections, past Chair of Construction section
Federal Bar Association
American Bar Association's Litigation Section and Forum on the Construction Industry
American Arbitration Association's Construction Panel
Association of Trial Lawyers of America
Honors & Awards
Martindale-Hubbell Top Rated Lawyer: Construction (2015)
Utah Legal Elite: Construction (2016, 2014), Civil Litigation (2015, 2009 - 2012)
Super Lawyers National: Business Litigation (2013 - 2017)
Mountain States Super Lawyers: Business Litigation (2007, 2008, 2011 - 2013, 2018)
Best Lawyers: Commercial Litigation, Construction Litigation, Real Estate Litigation (2011, 2014 - 2020)
America's Most Honored Professionals (2011)
Member, Kirton McConkie Board of Directors
Outstanding Oral Advocate award, J. Reuben Clark Law School (1979)
Real Estate, Contract and Construction litigation:
- Procured dismissal of $30 million breach of contract claim through partial summary judgment
- Procured dismissal of $30 million breach of distributorship contract claim through partial summary judgment
- Obtained $17 million jury verdict in real estate dispute in Arizona
- Procured $10 million settlement from government agency in breach of loan agreement case
- Obtained $4.3 million jury verdict in breach of contract/securities fraud case
- Procured $2.7 million settlement payment for breach of contract claim in Colombia
- Obtained $2.2 million judgment in breach of contract/fraud case in Utah
- Procured jury verdict dismissing $2.1 million securities fraud claim
- Procured $1.5 million settlement payment for breach of distributorship contract in Singapore
- Procured dismissal of $1.5 million breach of partnership agreement claim through partial summary judgment
- Procured settlement of $1.5 million construction contract claim through partial summary judgment
- Procured $1.4 million settlement payment in breach of contract/product defect claim covering 100 projects in US and Canada
- Obtained $1.3 million judgment on breach of contract claim
- Negotiated settlement of $1.2 million breach of contract claim for project in Saudi Arabia
- Negotiated dismissal of $1.0 million loan fraud claims with FDIC
- Procured $550,000 settlement payment for legal malpractice claim from New York firm
- Procured $400,000 settlement payment for personal injury claim in Utah
- Procured $325,000 settlement payment for insurer malpractice claim in Utah
Arbitration & Mediation:
- Served as arbitrator for the American Arbitration Association in numerous matters for 27 years.
- Chaired AAA panel hearing breach of contract claim regarding Boise hotel, including 5-week hearing.
- Served as private mediator in resolving several real estate and construction disputes.
- Successfully represented parties in numerous breach of contract, real property and construction arbitrations.
Representative Clients (Past and Current):
- Novell, Inc.
- Layton Construction Company
- Ensign-Bickford Company
- Western Mortgage Loan Association
- Innovative Coatings, Inc.
- North America Savings & Loan Association
- Furst Construction Company
- Sydney Pollock Architects
- Createrra, Inc.
- Medmaster, Inc.
- Associated Food Stores, Inc.
- Dunham-Bush, Inc.
- Deseret Trust Company
- International Investment & Development Company
- Smile Asia Pte, Ltd.
- Corporation of the Presiding Bishop of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Skanska USA
News & Events
- Press Release, 06.11.2018
- Press Release, 08.16.2017
- Press Release, 06.13.2017
- Press Release, 03.2016
- Press Release, 08.18.2015
- Press Release, 06.12.2015
- Press Release, 04.03.2015
- Press Release, 08.18.2014
- Press Release, 06.11.2014
- Press Release, 02.27.2014
- Press Release, 08.15.2013
- Press Release, 06.12.2013
- Press Release, 12.19.2012
- Press release, 08.23.2012
Brigham Young University, J. Reuben Clark Law School, J.D., 1981
- Member, Board of Advocates
- Outstanding Oral Advocate, 1981
University of Utah, B.S., Mathematics, cum laude, 1978
- Utah, 1981
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 1993
- United States Supreme Court, 1992
- United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, 1991
- United States District Court for the District of Utah, 1981