Mr. Witt is a member of the firm's Intellectual Property section. His practice focuses on both domestic and international intellectual property law, including patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, unfair competition law, patent and trademark opinions and licensing. He assists clients in developing and implementing intellectual property business strategies and providing opinions and advice relating to patentability, infringement, validity and freedom-to-operate issues. He has successfully drafted or prosecuted over a thousand issued U.S. patents in diverse technologies.
Mr. Witt is an AV Preeminent rated lawyer by Martindale-Hubbell.
Utah State Bar, Intellectual Property Section, Chairman, 1996-1997
American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
Licensing Executives Society (LES)
International Trademark Association (INTA)
Honors & Awards
Utah Legal Elite: Intellectual Property (2011)
Mountain States Super Lawyers: Intellectual Property (2007)
Martindale-Hubbell AV rated
- Practicing intellectual property law since 1987.
- Assists clients in developing and implementing national and international intellectual property business strategies.
- Assists clients in licensing or acquiring intellectual property.
- Provides opinions and advice relating to patentability, infringement, validity and freedom to operate issues.
- Former in-house intellectual property counsel for international pharmaceutical company.
News & Events
- Protecting Your Intellectual Property Abroad2019 Utah Economic Summit, 05.17.2019
- Avoiding Intellectual Property PitfallsNational Speakers Association, Mountain West Chapter, 01.16.2013
- Intellectual Property OverviewSalt Lake Community College, EntrepreCurious Seminar, 11.12.2012
- Global Protection of Intellectual PropertyAmerican Chemical Society annual meeting, 03.2009
- Law360, 03.20.2013
- Protecting Technology in a Global MarketInternational Trade Law Newsletter, LJN, 11.2005
- Responding to the Office Action-Anticipation and Obviousness IssuesAmerican Intellectual Property Law Association, Basic Chemical and Biotechnical Practice Seminar, Co-Author, 04.1990
- Inequitable Conduct and the Duty of Disclosure in Patent ProcurementBrigham Young University Law Review 149, 04.1986
J. Reuben Clark Law School, Brigham Young University, J.D., cum laude, 1987
Brigham Young University, B.S. Chemical Engineering, magna cum laude, 1984
- Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society
- Sigma Xi Scientific Research Society
- Phi Kappa Phi Academic Honor Society
- Utah, 1987
- Utah State and Federal Courts Bar, 1987
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 1989
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2000
- United States Patent and Trademark Office, 1986