Mr. Barker is Kirton McConkie’s past President and a member of the firm’s Employment and Tax & Estate Planning sections. His practice focuses on ERISA and general employee benefit work, including pension and profit sharing plans, welfare benefit plans, non-qualified deferred compensation plans, employee benefit taxation, and employee benefit fiduciary rules.
Mr. Barker is recognized as one of Utah’s Legal Elite for employment/labor and tax and is recognized as a Best Lawyer and a Mountain States Super Lawyer for Employee benefits/ERISA.
Honors & Awards
Mountain States Super Lawyer: Employee Benefits/ERISA (2012 - 2017), Tax (2018)
Super Lawyers national: Employee Benefits (2013)
Utah Legal Elite: Tax (2013, 2014), Labor and Employment (2009), Corporate Law and Transactions (2017)
Best Lawyers: Employee Benefits (ERISA) Law (2007, 2011, 2014 - 2022), Real Estate Law (2013, 2015 - 2022)
- Experienced in all aspects of ERISA/employee benefit planning, consulting, and dispute resolution.
- Serves as lead ERISA/employee benefit counsel for major clients of the firm.
- Assists corporations and individuals in federal and state tax work.
- Experience with insurance legal compliance, including captive insurance companies.
- Previously served as counsel for a major client of the firm in 15 countries of Asia and Micronesia where he was responsible for all legal matters, including real estate acquisition, construction, corporate work, labor relations, taxation, and compliance issues.
News & Events
- Press Release, 06.11.2018
- Press Release, 08.16.2017
- Press Release, 06.13.2017
- Press Release, 03.2016
- Press Release, 08.18.2015
- Press Release, 06.12.2015
- Press Release, 08.18.2014
- Press Release, 06.11.2014
- Press Release, 02.27.2014
- Press Release, 08.15.2013
- Press Release, 06.12.2013
- Press release, 08.23.2012
New York University School of Law, L.L.M., Taxation, 1981
University of Utah, J.D., 1980
- Associate Editor, Journal of Contemporary Law
- William H. Leary Scholar
Weber State College, B.S., History, magna cum laude, 1977
- Utah, 1980
- United States District Court for the District of Utah, 1980