Mr. Austin has chaired the firm’s First Amendment & Religious Organizations practice group. He serves as lead outside controversy and crisis counsel for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He has managed crises and litigated significant controversies in most states in the United States and several foreign countries. His practice emphasizes internal investigations, crisis management, litigation, with special emphasis on child protection and abuse prevention and response.
Mr. Austin is recognized as one of Utah’s Legal Elite for Litigation and is AV Preeminent rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
TIPS Section Vice-chair of the Nonprofit Organizations Subcommittee, 2007 - 2008
Chair of the Giving Committee, BYU Law School Alumni Association, 2006
Honors & Awards
Utah Legal Elite: Civil Litigation (2009 - 2011, 2015, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021)
AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Successfully litigated and otherwise resolved hundreds of sexual misconduct claims
- Conducted hundreds of internal investigations relating to sexual misconduct throughout the United States and in many foreign countries.
- Guest Lecturer, BYU J. Reuben Clark School of Law
- Frequent lecturer on the topic of Handling and Preventing Sexual Misconduct Claims
News & Events
- Press Release, 04.03.2015
- Judicial clerk to the late Charles Wiggins of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Brigham Young University, J. Reuben Clark Law School, J.D., summa cum laude, 1992
- Executive Editor, BYU Law Review
- Order of the Coif
Brigham Young University, B.S., cum laude, 1989
- Utah, 1992
- United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, 1993
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, 1993
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, 2004
- United States District Court for the District of Utah, 1992