Steve Andersen is a trial lawyer who represents both plaintiffs and defendants in their most important litigation. He has tried, to final verdict, cases in Idaho, Utah, Washington, Oregon, California, Wyoming, Colorado, and Florida. He has been lead counsel in more than 100 jury trials. In 97% of those cases, his clients prevailed. Mr. Andersen has litigated cases throughout the United States and achieved remarkable results. He has twice obtained verdicts and subsequent settlements for more than $125 million. He tried the longest single jury trial in Idaho history in a case that featured experts in soils, wind dispersion modeling, and crop effects of below measurable chemical residues—all new science presentations—and, as lead counsel, obtained full damages for his clients totaling $17.8 million.
Mr. Andersen’s particular expertise on the plaintiff side is agricultural claims, product liability, tire defects, seatbelt design, food contamination, medical devices, industrial products, pharmaceuticals, FIFRA misbranding, premises liability, lender liability, federal tort claims, insurance bad faith, dram shop, and business torts.
Mr. Andersen is also a defense attorney and has represented clients at trial in partnership dissolutions, defense of patent infringement claims, product defect cases, royalty disputes, professional liability, engineering, and construction disputes.
Idaho State Bar, Litigation Section
American Bar Association, Litigation and Business Section Member
American Association for Justice Member
Lawyer Representative to the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, 2007-2010
Past President of the Idaho Trial Lawyers Association
Past President of Idaho Chapter of American Inns of Court
Martindale-Hubble "AV Preeminent" rating
Honors & Awards
Listed in Chambers USA, directory of leading business lawyers (litigation) for 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012
Listed in Super Lawyers (litigation) 2007 through 2012
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2003 through 2012
Listed in Benchmark (litigation)
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America (commercial litigation)
Listed in America's Leading Lawyers for Business (general commercial litigation)
Listed in Super Lawyers (intellectual property litigation)
- Lead trial counsel for international farm conglomerates who alleged crop and soil damage from a recalled fungicide. Achieved a $56-million jury verdict.
- Lead trial counsel for Idaho potato and beet growers who alleged crop and property damage from herbicide drift. Achieved a $17.8-million jury verdict. The trial was the longest jury trial in Idaho history and the verdict covered only four plaintiffs. Their verdict set the precedent for over 100 other claims, all of which successfully settled post trial.
- Lead trial counsel for an injured driver who alleged construction failure of a road. Achieved a $7.8 million court verdict under the federal Tort Claims Act, which was affirmed on appeal.
- Lead trial counsel for multiple injured parties due to unsafe public event. Achieved liability verdict in bifurcated cases which allowed settlement of multiple party claims against multiple defendants determined by the jury to be liable.
- Lead trial counsel for Dram Shop case alleging overselling of alcohol and resultant multiple wrongful death claim. Achieved multimillion-dollar jury verdict and punitive damages awarded.
- Lead trial counsel on wrongful death claim involving unique mishandling of heavy equipment. Achieved $2.4 million outcome.
- Recently, Mr. Anderson has had the following outcomes, both verdicts and settlements, expressed in millions: $2.5 personal injury, $3.0 personal injury, $5.8 professional liability, $4.75 professional liability, $1.75 lost business profits, $1.25 insurance bad faith, $2.25 personal injury. As lead counsel, he also obtained the largest federal tort claim verdict of $7.8 million, the state’s largest food contamination settlement of $7.5 million, lost profits recovery of $10.1 million, and crop damage verdict of $56 million. He has achieved many dozens of verdicts and settlements in excess of $1 million. Throughout his career Mr. Andersen has recovered, in cash, for his clients approximately $256 million.
Mr. Andersen was lead defense counsel in class action horizontal price fixing case based upon alleged supply restriction of potatoes. The case was brought by numerous national plaintiff antitrust firms and threatened the entire Idaho potato industry, seeking damages of over $2 billion before trebling. After years of discovery and opposition to class certification, the case settled for nominal damages.
Recent verdicts include:
- Defense jury verdict – multimillion-dollar claim for royalties and treble damages for alleged willful infringement of agricultural chemical patent. Tried on Idaho Federal Court.
- Defense jury verdict – multimillion-dollar claim for business interference and recovery of counterclaim for violations of Computer Fraud and Abuse Act by internet services companies. Tried in Idaho Federal Court.
- Defense jury verdict – multimillion-dollar claim for damages and business interference due to aircraft failure. Tried in Idaho state court.
- Defense court verdict – claims for damages arising from dissolution of professional partnership. Tried in Idaho state court.
- Defense jury verdict – multimillion-dollar claim for patent infringement and disputed inventorship of patented smoke protection device. Tried in Idaho state court.
- Defense court verdict – multimillion-dollar claim for patent infringement, and inequitable conduct and recovery of counterclaim for unpaid royalties from agricultural chemical usage. Tried in Idaho Federal Court.
- Defense court verdict – multimillion-dollar Lunham Act claim and request for permanent injunction over disputed sonar technology.
News & Events
- The Realities of Expert Witness Reports (published materials)U.S. Courts Conference, District of Idaho
- Voir Dire — New Perspectives for the Twenty-First Century (published materials)U.S. Courts Conference, District of Idaho, 2012
- The Electronic Medium-Effective Evidence Presentation (published materials)U.S. Courts Conference, District of Idaho
- How to Prepare for, Take, and Use a DepositionJames Publishing, 2nd Edition
Brigham Young University, BA 1977, summa cum laude
Brigham Young University, JD 1980, with honors
- Idaho Supreme Court
- United States District Court of Idaho
- United States court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- United States District Court of Minnesota
- United States District Court of Montana
- Florida State Courts
- United States District Court for the Middle District of Florida
- United States Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation