Brian is a member of the firm's Intellectual Property section. He has extensive experience drafting and prosecuting patent applications involving a wide array of technologies. He specializes in computer-related technology and has handled hundreds of patent applications for Dell and Microsoft. He has also handled a large number of patent applications for L3 Technologies, Becton Dickinson, and Quest Software. For many of his clients, Brian also handles foreign patent prosecution including many applications in Europe, Canada, Australia, and China.
Brian also has extensive experience with inter partes reviews (IPRs). He has successfully defended the patent owner in multiple IPRs including obtaining final written decisions finding all claims in the challenged patents valid.
He has also handled an appeal of an IPR final written decision to the Federal Circuit.
In addition to his patent work, Brian also manages a large trademark practice that includes US and foreign trademark filings.
Prior to attending law school, Brian worked as an electrical engineer for L-3 Communications where he designed and tested communication links. Due primarily to his patent work with Microsoft, Dell Wyse, and Quest Software (formerly Dell Software), Brian has developed a love for software and enjoys investing time to fully understand how each invention works. As a result, Brian routinely receives the inventors’ praise for the quality of his work, and the inventors frequently approve his patent applications for filing on the first draft.
Honors & Awards
Mountain States Super Lawyers: Rising Star in IP (2018)
- Extensive experience drafting and prosecuting patent applications relating to client and server-side software for thin client devices
- Considerable experience drafting and prosecuting patent applications relating to RF systems, medical devices, software-defined networking, educational software, bandwidth allocation systems, and accounts receivable management software
- Successfully represented patent owner in numerous inter partes reviews before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board regarding patents directed to multimedia content filtering
- Briefed and argued an appeal of an IPR final written decision to the Federal Circuit
- Drafting and prosecuting design patent applications
- Trademark filing, prosecution and enforcement
- Management of foreign patent and trademark matters
- Technical support for patent litigation involving computer hardware and software
News & Events
- Press Release, 06.11.2018
- Press Release, 06.13.2017
- George Washington University Law School, J.D., with honors, 2008
Editor, American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) Quarterly Journal
- University of Utah, B.S., Computer Engineering, 2005
- Utah State Bar
- Registered Patent Attorney, United States Patent and Trademark Office